Monday, January 28, 2013

Greetings fellow educators!!!

I am once again enrolled in a technology class that is challenging my entire teaching belief system. This semester I am taking a class that deals with the flattening of your classroom. If you are like me you are thinking what does flattening mean.

Flattening in this case refers to taking learning and teaching outside of the physical four walls of the classroom. This is accomplished by using student, teacher, or outside resource collaborations.When a classroom is flattened, the instruction, or learning, is student centered. The students create the knowledge pathways, styles, and learning for themselves. The teacher is just a guide on their path to learning.

As a graduate student in education and drawing on incidental experiences I have had with collaboration I can clearly see that this is the future of education. My only question is has anyone told the people who create learning policy about this?  Correct me if I am wrong, but don't Alabama public school teachers need to use the Scott Foresman reading series and spend ninety minutes a day on reading?!?! Well if a classroom is flattened and students are directing their learning, they probably won't use Scott Foresman to learn about sequence.

Just something to think about. I will keep you posted on my findings.
Steph-

No comments:

Post a Comment